Navistar, formerly known as International Harvester, has deep roots in Chicago. In the 1850s, agricultural machinery pioneer Cyrus McCormick opened his first factory in Chicago and built a dealer network to sell his mechanical reaper, which revolutionized farming. In 1902, International Harvester was formed from the merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine and Deering Harvester, with the combined company branching out into automobile, tractor and truck manufacturing.